Sunday, November 1, 2009

Surf's up!

Nov 1, 2009

Ah, finally no-shave November is here. As you probably have guessed, this means all the students at Kaleo have sworn that no blades shall come within proximity of one's facial hair. It doesn't really affect me cause it takes me a week to start showing any signs of stubble. However, some of the guys are not as fortunate. Decembeard is coming up too. I'll be sure to post some pictures.

Surfing was great! It is much harder than it looks. Just catching a wave is quite difficult, let alone being able to stand up or carve. I was able to stand up for 3-4 seconds max, most of the time I just laid on the board, which is still ridiculously fun. The Cold Water Classic surfing championship was at the same time as the trip, I got some John Hancocks from some of the pro-surfers. I got some free pizza out of the deal too :) We were accommodated at the Christ Community Church in Ucluelet. There, we had some times of sharing testimony which were very encouraging to me. Some of the past Kaleo students were on reading break from Briercrest so they hung out with us during our trip. Also, one of the girls recommitted her life to Christ while we were there. Exciting eh?

Other than that, not much has really happened around here. I'm finished my essay that I was worried about, only to start another one tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll finish it before Lauren gets here on Wednesday...YIPEE! I skipped out on church this week because I was helping out with one of the retreats being held here at the camp. Mostly, this meant washing dishes for an hour or two after the meals. I was lucky enough to work on the challenge course, belaying kids up a tower to go down the zip line. I was able to chat with one of the retreaters named Riley, who hails from the mainland. I first saw him playing around with a rubix cube that was shaped irregularly and had only silver stickers on it. I couldn't believe my eyes when he solved it in 2 minutes!

Despite that this week wasn't really busy, I'm starting to slack on my devotions and procrastinate my school work. Please pray for diligence. I'm going to need it this week as it looks to be one of the toughest yet, in the area of homework. Also pray for the health of the people at camp as the swine flu may be making its way around. I promised pictures of the surfing but I didn't get many and I apologize. Check out my facebook if you want to see some pictures that others have taken of the trip.

God Bless,

Trent

1 comment:

  1. Trent, it sounds like you're having the time of your life! Wow, I can't believe you have trouble writing essays - because your updates are awesome! It's so great that you are getting to try so many new things. It seems to me (from what you write) that you are fitting in rather well and that God is working in your life. That's fantastic.

    Praying with you. Be nice to your sister!

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete